I’m a big fan of this stitch as its so quick and easy to do and I have already used it twice on my two beanie hats in previous posts (see here)
Start by chaining the desired length
- Yarn over, insert hook into stitch, yarn over and draw through loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook (2 loops still on hook)
- In the same stitch repeat step 1, 2 more times leaving you with 4 loops on your hook.
- Yarn over and pull through all 4 loops on your hook.
- If you want a bigger puff then when you are repeating step 1 do it 3, 4, 5 or however many times you wish then carry on as normal.
- Usually after doing your puff stitch (step 1-4) you would then do ch1 before doing another puff in the next stitch but if you’re working from a pattern it should tell you if it wants you to do this.
Free puff stitch patterns:
Newsboy Hat – Having made two hats with this stitch already I think hats are ideal for learning this stitch and the end results almost always look great. I recommend checking the gauge as you go to ensure it will fit when done, and don’t use a wool to stiff or has no give in it
Have a great Saturday